Serving: Lexington, Louisville, Bowling Green and Beyond!
©Jenna Stevens Photography. All images used on this blog are subject to copyright. It is prohibited to copy, redistribute, or republish any photo without prior written permission from us. We reserve the right to take legal action against anyone or business willfully infringing on our copyright. Please link back to the appropriate page on our website if you are allowed to share our content.
Choosing the perfect wedding photographer for your special wedding day can be a hard decision. When you're looking for a photographer in Kentucky to preserve your memories, it's important to make sure that you choose someone who is experienced and highly skilled. I know it can seem like a daunting task because there are so many of us and so many styles to choose from. Don't fret! I'll go over everything you need to know to confidently find the best professional photographer for you.
How to find the perfect Photographer?
Where do you even begin?! With the help of Google, Instagram, Facebook, The Knot, and Wedding Wire, it is easy to find photographers near you who specialize in portrait photography for weddings and engagements. These sites are also great resources for reading reviews from couples who have used their services before.
To find the best creative for your big day, find creatives whose style and budget are a perfect match for your own vision. Make a list of your favorite photographers and reach out to each one by using the contact form on their website (this is usually the BEST way to get a response). Try to avoid reaching out via DMs on social media, as most photographers are receiving many other likes/comments/messages throughout the day... your message may get lost in the mix or cause an extreme delay in their response.
Asking friends, family and other couples is also a great way to hear personal testimonials about photographers they may have hired or know through word of mouth. I also HIGHLY recommend taking that extra step of setting up a call or video chat to help build rapport with your prospective photographer and will ensure everyone involved is on the same page when it comes time to capture your precious memories.
5 tips to make sure your wedding photographer is the best fit for you.
1. Decide on style – There are so many different styles of photography out there. Think of it as art- From the way we edit to the way we capture... no two photographers are going to tell your story the same! When searching for a photog, pay attention to which style you are gravitating most towards. Do you like the posed, bright and whimsical portraits? How about a documentary, romantic, and moody vibe? Maybe you want vibrant, fun and an untraditional feel. Really dig in to each photographer's websites and portfolios and get a feel for the work they showcase.
2. Pricing – Pricing can be a tough one to navigate! Everyone's perception of money is different and some people's priorities are different when it comes to capturing certain moments. My biggest piece of advice is to reach out to your favorite photographers first to get a sense of what their pricing is and what it includes. After that, you will have a better idea of what to expect and will be able to set an appropriate budget.
3. Discuss your vision – Have an honest conversation about the type of pictures you want captured and what moments are important to you. No two artists are alike! From moody and bold to bright and airy... be sure to hire someone that reflects what you envision. Find someone who specializes in the pictures you want captured to ensure they document your moments in the best way possible. Be sure to ask them how much experience they have in photographing the type of content you envision!
4. Review their packages – This kinda goes hand in hand with pricing. Make sure that the package they offer suits your needs and budget while also providing the quality and quantity of pictures that you are looking for. Does their package include enough hours to cover the events you need photographed? If not, are you able to add on more? And if so, at what cost? Every wedding is so unique so it's important to find someone who can build a package for your specific needs.
5. Ask questions – Asking questions upfront helps you get to know the photographer better, as well as understand what their process is like and how much time it will take for them to deliver your wedding photos after the event is over. Your experience is extremely important! It doesn't begin and end with your wedding so it's important to know what to expect before and after the event.
5 questions to ask your prospective photographer
1. How much experience do you have? This is an extremely important question! They may photograph weddings, but for how long? Years of experience can be incredibly important in any field or profession. With every year of work, you gain more knowledge and skills that can help you succeed. You also refine your understanding of the industry, stay up to date with trends, and build relationships with others. I have over a decade of experience and it has given me a unique perspective and allows me to tackle problems from different angles.
2. Do you have any sample albums from previous weddings or events you have shot? Anyone can post only their most beautiful photos. This question gives you a chance to see MORE! You'll see how they document a wedding day from start to finish. From capturing the big moments to capturing everything in between.
3. What equipment do you use and do you have a backup process to ensure our photos are not lost? This gives you peace of mind knowing they will show up with the necessary professional equipment to photograph your day. After your event, it is important to know what their backup process is. I highly recommend hiring someone who keeps your photos in AT LEAST two other locations (in addition to their hard drive).
For example: When photographing a couples wedding day, I have two memory cards in my camera. When I take a photo, two copies are made- one on each card. After your event, I go home and take both cards out of my camera. I put one card into my computer and copy the photos to my hard drive. After the photos are finished being copied, your photos now exist in THREE places- the two memory cards and my hard drive. Some photographers- like myself, will take an extra precaution and upload a 4th copy to an online "cloud". Because let's be real... life can happen to anyone at ANY TIME! What if my hard drive and memory cards are destroyed by a house fire, or stolen in a robbery... the cloud copy will be our only saving grace.
4. Are there additional charges such as 2nd photographers, albums, or travel expenses? Some couples may want to add an engagement session or extra coverage time to cover the reception. It's best to have everything laid out from the start so there are no surprises later.
5. How soon after the event can we expect to see our photos? The turnaround time greatly varies from one photographer to the next. Just because your friend or family member received their wedding photos back within 2 weeks doesn't mean that will be the case for you! Be sure to check your contract for the agreed upon turnaround time.
Examples of wedding photography in Kentucky by © Jenna Stevens Photography
Here are some of my current favessss! I also have the full albums ready to send if you wanna take a peak. Contact Me!
Do you have a special occasion coming up, like a wedding or celebration? If so, I'd be incredibly honored to help capture the joy and intimate moments on your big day! Your loved ones will treasure the photographs taken and it truly gives me great pleasure when I can provide these incredible portraits. It's my favorite part about being a portrait photographer - having the chance to celebrate with you and your loved ones on such an incredible event. So don't hesitate to contact me for all your wedding photography needs - I'm more than happy to help make sure your big day is documented for everyone involved to cherish for years to come.